Sustainable Container Ship Approved

Wind-assisted container ship receives in-principle class approval

0

The classification society Bureau Veritas has granted approval in principle to a new wind-assisted container ship design.

The design, dubbed “Trade Wings 2500,” envisions a liquefied natural gas-powered vessel equipped with six wing sails achieving a reduction in CO2 emissions of up to 35% on a typical 4,000 nautical mile transatlantic route compared to a conventionally propelled vessel.

With an overall length of 197 meters and a beam of 32 meters, the vessel will have a deadweight of 32,500 tons m and a capacity of 2,500 20-foot equivalent containers. While its size makes it ideal for short sea shipping operations or feeder services in Europe, Central America, the Caribbean islands and China, the vessel can also operate on transatlantic routes.

The Trade Wings 2,500 has been jointly developed by VPLP Design (France), Alwena Shipping (France), SDARI (a member of China State Shipbuilding Co.) and AYRO (France), with approval in principle granted by Bureau Veritas.

The basic design includes hybrid propulsion with six Oceanwings® retractable wing sails and an LNG power plant designed with 4-stroke pure gas gensets. LNG storage will be based on GTT’s Mark III containment system. It will also have an option for conversion to future decarbonized fuels, such as ammonia or hydrogen. In terms of overall CO2 savings, Oceanwings® wing sails will account for approximately 57%, while optimized LNG propulsion will contribute the remaining 43%.

“Wind propulsion is a high-potential solution that can contribute to the long-term decarbonization of the maritime industry. We have just published new standards for wind propulsion systems, and this innovative design, approved in principle by BV, which includes a sliding mechanism, demonstrates the feasibility of wind-assisted propulsion on board container ships with deck space constraints,” said Alex Gregg-Smith, Bureau Veritas senior vice president for North Asia.

“By benefiting from a deckless hatch and electric propulsion of the LNG pod, the design provides both operational flexibility, increased efficiency and reduced carbon emissions, meeting or exceeding regulatory requirements.” Bureau Veritas continues to address the challenges of the energy transition by providing solutions to safety, risk and performance requirements for innovation in future fuels and propulsion systems,” said Gregg-Smith.

Source gCaptain

Deja un comentario aquí:

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Smiley face

¡RECIBA NUESTRO BOLETÍN SEMANAL A SU CORREO! 
¡Suscribase Ahora!
Cerrar

Smiley face

GET OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER TO YOUR INBOX!
Subscribe Now!
Close